Cruise Ship Injuries
It is the responsibility of the captain or watercraft entity to keep all passengers and maritime workers safe. Cruise liners must exercise the highest degree of care to protect their passengers against physical harm. They also have an obligation to ensure their passengers arrive to port safely. When the cruise liner fails to live up to this duty and a passenger is injured as a result, they may be liable for any resulting damages. And federal maritime law provides some protection for seamen under what is known as the Jones Act.
In fact, every ship or boat captain has a responsibility to operate her vessel and navigate the waters safely. The vessel owner and operator can be held liable for injuries and death that result from accidents they cause.
If you have suffered an accident or injury aboard a cruise ship or other watercraft, whether as a passenger or crewmember, we know how to protect your legal rights and maximize your recovery.
Types of Cruise Ship Injury Claims
- Slip and falls or trip and falls
- Falling overboard
- Injuries from fires on the cruise ship
- Norovirus infection (Norwalk virus) or other illnesses from contaminated food or unsanitary conditions
- Pool or water slide accidents
- Injuries sustained during on-shore excursions
- Injuries sustained during recreational activities aboard the ship
- Dock accidents
- Falling object accidents
- Injuries resulting from navigational errors
- Medical malpractice or medical negligence
- Sexual assault or physical assault because of unsecured or unsafe premises
The Jones Act provides for compensation for seamen for death or injuries they suffer during their employment on sea-going vessels or offshore oil rigs. The term “seaman” applies to people who work aboard most types of commercial vessels, including cruise ships, cargo ships, water taxis, charter boats or yachts, fishing boats, oil rigs, tankers, and other watercraft as well as divers working under water.
Injuries covered under the Jones Act include:
- traumatic brain injury
- anoxic brain injury
- spinal cord injury
- orthopedic injuries
If you or someone you love has suffered an injury on a cruise ship, boat or other water vessel, please call Friedman | Rubin today at (206) 501-4446 for a free consultation.